Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Mini-quilt from Jeans



    

        

Do you enjoy re-using old things in a new way? I sure do. When a family member wanted a very small blanket, and we couldn't find any that small, I pulled out some old jeans. I also ordered some faux sherpa fleece through eBay. 

I decided on 24" X 20" for the mini-quilt, based on something I had re-used for a lap blanket in my car. 

I cut 30 squares, with each square being 5" across by 5" down, to make 6 rows by 5 rows. I used 1/2" seam allowances. I sewed the patches into rows and then sewed the rows together. 

The sherpa fleece tends to stretch a little, so I was careful getting it measured and cut to the 25" X 21" I would need for a backing. After cutting, I laid the denim on top of the fleece and trimmed the fleece a tadbit, as needed. 

I used clips to hold the two large pieces together, right sides together. I put the clips on the very edges, so I would have room to sew. I sewed around the three sides. I clipped the corners carefully, and then turned the blanket right side out. 

I then turned the edges of fourth side under toward the inside of the blanket and uses the clips to carefully attach it all the way across. I then sewed that side shut. After that, I sewed near the very edge all along the other three sides, so all four sides would like nice and flat. 

To finish, I sewed, on the jean side, down the set of rows where I had put all the squares together. I used blue thread and happily the blue didn't show on the beige fleece side, as it got "lost" in the fleece. I was quite happy with how it turned out.    

No comments: