Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Grandma Ethel's Teriyaki Chicken

Yesterday one of my sons and I were talking about my cookbook and that my purpose is to share. So, last night as we enjoyed my Mom's Teriyaki Chicken, I thought, "Aha, I should share this on my blog." I already do share it in the Myers Family Cookbook, but not everyone has the book. Or maybe someone has it tucked away on their Kindle and forgot. So here is the recipe (below). 

Last night, also, I decided to go ahead and change the price on the cookbook from $2.99 to $0.99, as I've been contemplating for a while. Also, in the past, in order to be able to offer it for free on occasion I've had it on Amazon Select. That means, as an e-book, you could only ever get it from Amazon. You know how I feel about monopolies, right? I need to live as I believe. 

So, last night, I took it off of Amazon Select, although it won't be effective until mid-January; so if you're a Kindle Unlimited user, you can still access it that way until then. After mid-January, I hope to make the time to put the e-book on Nook, as well (another learning curve to conquer, as it's a different format). 

Bottom line about the book: It will no longer occasionally be offered for free; however, that's because I wanted to offer it for 99 cents, year 'round. 

And now, the teriyaki chicken from my Myers Family Cookbook:

Grandma Ethel’s Teriyaki Chicken

My mom created this recipe many years ago. I "modernized it" with zipper bags and more specific amounts. This was my favorite birthday dinner as a teenager.

2-4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 cup soy sauce (I use low sodium soy sauce)
¼ cup red wine
¼ cup water
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 clove garlic, finely minced, or ½ teaspoon powdered garlic
1 teaspoon ground ginger

Combine all ingredients except chicken in a 2 cup or larger measuring pitcher or small mixing bowl. Put chicken pieces in two zip-type plastic bags. Pour half of the teriyaki marinade carefully from the bowl or pitcher into each of the bags. Close the bags securely. Lay bags flat so all pieces can marinate, placing bags on a platter or in a large baking pan. Refrigerate.

After about an hour, turn bags over. You may turn bags over occasionally, if you wish and if you have the time. Marinate chicken in the refrigerator for at least two hours, preferably for 6-8 hours. You can marinate for 12 hours but the longer it marinates, the stronger the flavor will be.


Remove chicken from bags and drain on paper towels. Lightly oil a 13" X 9" X 2" pan or spray it with cooking spray. Place chicken pieces in one layer only in the pan. Cook in 350° F oven for 20 minutes. Turn and cook another 20-30 minutes until chicken is tender and no longer pink inside. 

From Myers Family Cookbook by Margaret Mary Myers. 


No comments: