Monday, March 24, 2014

Three Can Minestrone



With only three of us living here now, I pulled out my 1-1/2 quart crockpot, and I started experimenting with making soups that are small and simple. 

Now, I do want to tell you that I think fresh foods are even better for us; but I grew up as a Girl Scout, with the motto, "Be prepared". I like to have some meals and soups that I can make with ingredients that I can keep in the house. 

I've been tweaking this recipe in several attempts, and tonight I was delighted, if I do say so myself. So, I thought I would share it with you all. 

Three Can Minestrone

1 can (15.5 ounces) Great Northern beans, drained
1 can (14.5 ounces) sliced carrots, drained
1 can (14.5 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes
½ cup water with ½ teaspoon chicken bouillon
OR ½ cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
dash of black pepper
¼ teaspoon basil

Fresh option:
2 tablespoons finely chopped onions or green onions

Put all ingredients into a 1 ½ to 2 quart crock pot and stir.

Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

Enjoy! 



Note: This recipe was created after the Myers Family Cookbook was published, so it is not found in that book. There are other soup recipes in that book, as well as other recipes you can make from items you can keep in the pantry. 


No comments: