Sunday, March 23, 2014

De-cluttering - What about the old philosophies? - #7 - Retro equipment



Old Philosophy #7: " If you have items that are no longer in general use, for example, vinyl records, you should keep them until you can have them converted or until you can buy the equipment to convert them yourself, or better yet, buy the re-manufactured retro equipment to play them on."

MY husband is a musician, so, I bought him a record player for all his vinyl records. However, I'm not a musician, so I didn't select a record player with high quality sound. Oops. 

But, that brings me back to hobbies and passions, once again. What kinds of things do we want to save? If it's our vocation or avocation, then we might want to go for it. But we might want to consider how many passions we have the time, energy, and space to pursue. 

Incidentally, my husband also has large reel-to-reel tapes that his father taped from radio programs or records. (I started to inform you that his father did this many years ago; but hey, when did you last see a reel-to-reel tape player?). We did finally let the reel-to-reel player move on.  Now we need to address the tapes. I'm making a list and seeing how many of them we can get on CD's or perhaps digitally. 

And - I know I'm repeating myself - but here we go again: I have quite a few old movies on VHS, but movies are not my passion; I'm not that "into" them, so it's not worth it to me to convert them to DVD's. So I will be letting most of them go. 

I guess what I'd really like to share with you is the feeling that we don't have to keep everything just because we have it. And it isn't always wise to acquire more to justify what we have. Unless it's our passion, and it fits our space, budget, etc., we can simply let it go. 


You can read Decluttering - What about the old philosophies? - #6  or #8.



B








No comments: